The Beer House

Search Site

In addition to the 'Eagle and Crown' and the 'Horse and Jockey', there was also a beer house in Rake Lane, called the Traveller's Rest. (A beer house had a license to sell beer but not spirits).

Travellers Rest

The October 30th edition of the Liverppol Mercury in 1891 carried the following advertisement:

 

Travellers Rest

 

Despite the advert describing it as "Old Established", the Traveller's Rest does not appear in the 1881 census.

 

In the 1830s, the site of the Traveller's Rest was the village Smithy, owned by William Webster of Upton Hall and occupied by John Strong.

 

The Traveller's Rest closed in about 1903, although the building is still there today.

Travellers Rest