Toll Houses

Search Site

The cottage at the junction of Saughall Massie Road and Greasby Road was known by various names; Hall Hill Cottage, Rutter's Cottage and Toll Bar Cottage.

Saughall Massie Road Toll House

The cottage was built about 1820 and from 1837 to 1841 it housed the village school.

Saughall Massie Road Toll House

The cottage stood on the Birkenhead to West Kirby turnpike. The two windows facing the village were blocked up and painted over, probably to avoid Window Tax.

Saughall Massie Road Toll House

The gate post which is seen leaning to the left is supposed to have originally carried the tollgate. However, Greasby Road was not built until the 1860s, the turnpike was Saughall Massie Lane, which in those days was on the other side of the building.

 

The house was demolished when the junction was re-aligned, but the gate post, which actually carried the gate to the farm track leading to Hall Hill Meadow (now the cricket club), remained until it was pulled out in 2003.

Saughall Massie Road Toll House

A second toll house was at the top of Moreton Road, in front of where St Joseph's School now is.

 

Moreton Road Toll House